In the name of GOD, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
Proclaim, “He is the One and Only GOD.”
“The Absolute GOD.”
“Never did He beget. Nor was He begotten.”
“None equals Him.”
Universal Unity Editor: Keikhosrow Emami
July 1997 [No. 37]
Even if you show the followers of the scripture
Every kind of miracle, they will not follow your Qiblah.
Nor shall you follow their Qiblah.
They do not even follow each other’s Qiblah.
If you acquiesce to their wishes, after the knowledge
That has come to you, you will belong with the transgressors.
The command that we must turn our faces during Salat towards the Sacred Masjid is repeated five times in the Quran. Glory be to God, this is in concurrence with the number of times we perform Salat daily. In Sura 2, verse 144, we read, “You shall turn your face towards the Sacred Masjid,” Favalle vaj'haka shat'ral-Masjidel-Haraam (G.V. 1077). In the same verse the command is repeated in another form, “All of you shall turn your faces towards it.” Favallo vojoohakom shat'raho (G.V. 717). In verse 149 the first form of the command (G.V. 1077) and in verse 150 both forms of the command (G.V. 1077 and 717) are repeated. If we add the sura number, the verse numbers, and the G.V. of the commands as they occur in the verses to 666, the Quran, we get:
+ 144 + 1077 + 717 + 149 + 1077 +
150 + 1077 + 717 = 5776
19 x 19 x 16
GOD BE GLORIFIED
All the praises are due to Almighty God. We know that God has rendered the Shrine (the Ka'aba) a focal point for us (2:125) and we know that we are commanded to turn our faces towards it as we stand before the Almighty to perform our daily Contact Prayers. But, how do we do this when we cannot establish visual contact with the Shrine? As submitters to God alone what should we do to make sure that we are choosing the right directions?
[5:7] Remember God's blessing upon you, and His covenant that He covenanted with you: you said, “We hear and we obey.” You shall observe God; God is fully aware of the innermost thoughts.
[34:6] It is evident to those who are blessed with knowledge that this revelation from your Lord to you is the truth, and that it guides to the path of the Almighty, the Most Praiseworthy.
This Quran contains the proven words and the clear revelations from God, our Creator. THIS IS NOT AN ORDINARY BOOK! The Quran is not only a message from God, but it is a living messenger as well (5:15; 11:1-3; 51:50,51; 65:10,11). The believers unhesitatingly obey God and His messenger.
[24:51] The only utterance of the believers, whenever invited to God and His messenger to judge in their affairs, is to say, “We hear and we obey.” These are the winners.
THIS QURAN, THE
THE DIRECTION OF THE QIBLAH SHOWN TO US BY THE MESSENGER OF THE COVENANT IS CORRECT.
It is a part of God's system that He sends messengers, “To each community, a messenger,” (10:47). He sends messenger (14:4) “(to preach) in the tongue of his people, in order to clarify things for them.” Rashad Khalifa was a messenger of God, the Messenger of the Covenant. He was sent to America, today's "most important community" where God's message has been restored (6:92). He spoke in the tongue of the people among whom he lived. In clear English he wrote: "Face the direction of Mecca (Qiblah). This is an organizational point decreed by God in 2:125. God wills that all Submitters must face the same direction when they observe the Contact Prayers. In the U.S., the direction is slightly South of East."
As to how to find the direction of Qiblah, the only reference given in the Quran is in 2:144, “We have seen you turning your face about the sky (searching for the right direction).” This verse refers to prophet Muhammad when he was following the instructions he had received through Gabriel in order to find the direction towards Jerusalem, the temporary Qiblah that was assigned to the believers at that time in order to test their submission. There are verses in the Quran (6:97; 7:54; 16:12,16) in which our Creator tells us that He has committed the sun, the moon, and the stars in our service.
[6:97] And He is the One who made the stars to guide you during the darkness, on land and sea. We thus clarify the revelations for people who know.
The heavenly bodies help us find directions and so does the compass that we have been blessed with. But, what about the direction of the Qiblah? Is there any specific guidance in the Quran that can help us finding the direction of the Qiblah? No, there is no such information in the Quran. But we as believers are specifically commanded to obey God and obey His messenger (4:59; 5:92; 8:20; 17:32; 24:54; 33:31,71; 47: 33; 64:12). In the absence of the specific instructions in the Quran, we must follow God's command and obey the messenger if we are believers. This becomes our test.
[8:46] You shall obey God and His messenger, and do not dispute among yourselves, lest you fail and scatter your strength. You shall steadfastly persevere. God is with those who steadfastly persevere.
Despite the clear instruction from the Messenger of the Covenant, some among us in North America who say, "God alone," "Quran alone," have turned on their heels and have changed the direction of their Qiblah to North East. The reason they offer is: "The shortest straight line from anywhere in North America to Mecca is in the direction of North East." Among other things this change of direction has created division among the believers. The Quran addresses this particular issue and in an awesome way confirms that the direction of Qiblah in North America is indeed slightly South of East.
WARNING: The following information will disturb (74:31) many among the followers of the scripture who have lost their taste for the mathematical miracle of the Quran. Those who are no longer impressed with God's assertion that “Over it is nineteen.” Those who wish to have a book in which they can read, "Over it is twin primes, twin prime companions, lonely primes, and etc." Sura 2, verse 145, the topic of this issue, is specifically dealing with our present situation. Obviously North East and South East are not the same. Without beating around the bush, we are the people who are not following each other's Qiblah. This verse is not talking about the Christians and the Jews for they do not worship as we do. This verse is not talking about Muhammad and his contemporaries either. For they were not the people the mathematical miracles of the Quran were shown to them. This verse is not deciding between Jerusalem and Mecca as it was the case during the time of Muhammad. As we will see, God willing, this verse is about Mecca and us as the people who are in dispute over the direction of the Qiblah.
1. 2:145 is the 152nd verse from the beginning of the Quran.
7 + 145 = 152 = 19 x 8
Glory is to God, 19 is the 8th prime number. We humans have 19 bones in our hand and then immediately next to it in our wrist, we have 8 bones. The opening statement of the Quran, the Basmalah is made of 19 letters. The first 8 suras in the Quran start with the Basmalah (786). Sura Nine does not have the Basmalah (0). After this sura there are 105 suras that again start with the Basmalahs (786). Let us place the above numbers side by side:
19 x 4624216094
GOD IS GLORIFIED!
[2:127] As Abraham raised the foundations of the shrine, together with Ismail (they prayed): “Our Lord, accept this from us. You are the Hearer, the Omniscient.”
Obviously no one can dispute the fact that this verse is specifically talking about the Ka'aba, the shrine in Mecca. Now, let us see if there is any connection between this verse and 2:145.
From 2:127 to 2:145 inclusive, there are 19 verses. This means that there are 17 verses sandwiched between the two verses and 17 is the number of units of prayers we perform daily.
3. If we add 2, the sura number, and 127, the verse number where God is telling us about the Shrine, we get 129. Glory is to God, 129 is the number of the letters that make up the verse 145. (6, 30, 10, 50, 1, 400, 10, 400, 1, 30, 700, 10, 50, 1, 6, 400, 6, 1, 1, 30, 20, 400, 2, 20, 30, 1, 1, 10, 5, 40, 1, 400, 2, 70, 6, 1, 100, 2, 30, 400, 20, 6, 40, 1, 1, 50, 400, 2, 400, 1, 2, 70, 100, 2, 30, 400, 5, 40, 6, 40, 1, 2, 70, 800, 5, 40, 2, 400, 1, 2, 70 ,100, 2, 30, 5, 2, 70, 800, 6, 30, 10, 50, 1, 400, 2, 70, 400, 1, 5, 6, 1, 1, 5, 40, 40, 50, 2, 70, 4, 40, 1, 3, 1, 1, 20, 40, 50, 1, 30, 70, 30, 40, 1, 50, 20, 1, 700, 1, 30, 40, 50, 1, 30, 900, 30, 40, 10, 50)
4. If we place 2, the sura number, and 127 and 145, the verse numbers, side by side we get:
19 x ...
5. In this Quran (666), in Sura 2, there is a definite connection between verse 127 with the G. Value of 4067 and verse 145 with the gematrical value of 11179. If we place the above numbers side by side, we get:
19 x ...
La Elaha Ella Allah
6. Let us add (505,725), the G. Value of Rashad Khalifa, to the above six numbers:
+ 2 + 127 + 4067 + 145 + 11179 + 505,725
19 x 27469
What mathematically is shown here is that the Quran confirms the Qiblah shown to us by Rashad Khalifa (verse 145). It directs us towards the Shrine built by Abraham and Ismail (verse 127). The readers are urged to carefully read the verses 127 and 145 in order to, God willing, understand and appreciate the connection between the two verses. Please also note that the digits of the number obtained in this calculation (521911) add up to 19.
7. Now let us concentrate on 2:145 the verse that points out a dispute over the direction of the Qiblah. If we add 2145, the sura and the verse number concatenated, to (505,725), the G.V. of Rashad Khalifa, we get:
+ 505725 = 507870
19 x 26730
8. If we add 2145, representing the sura and the verse, 11179, the G. Value of the verse, and 1230, the total G.V. of Rashad Khalifa, we get:
+ 11179 + 1230 = 14554
19 x 766
9. Sura 2, verse 145 which contains 129 letters and its total gematrical value is 11179 confirms that the direction of the Qiblah shown by Rashad Khalifa (505,725) is correct. Let us add the above numbers:
145 + 129 + 11179 + 505725)
19 x 27220
GOD BE GLORIFIED
10. It is God's will that I (896,92) declare that the above verse (G.V. 11179) is specifically addressing our present situation concerning the direction of the Qiblah, and it confirms the truth which came to us through Rashad Khalifa (505,725). If we place the above numbers side by side, we get:
19 x ...
La Elaha Ella Allah
Is it fair to say that in conjunction with our daily Contact Prayers 608 is a shining number? When we utter the words of "The Key" (AI-Fatehah), our lips touch 19 times. The total gematrical value of the 4 "B's" (4 x 2) and the 15 "M's" (15 x 40) that cause the lips touching is 608.
[74:1] “O you hidden secret.”
This verse refers to 19, the Quran's mathematical code. Is it fair to say that 741 takes us to the core of the miracle? From 74:1 to the end of the Quran inclusive there are exactly 741 verses. How about if we see 608 and 741 side by side? Should this number then give us some hint that the mathematical miracle of the Quran is confirming the matter concerning our daily Contact Prayers, the Qiblah?
11. It is God's will that I declare that the direction of the Qiblah shown to us by the messenger of the covenant is correct. Therefore, in North America while observing our Contact Prayers we must face slightly South of East. Let us see what happens when we add (896,92), the G. Value of Keikhosrow Emami, 2145, the sura and the verse number concatenated, 11179, the G.V. of the verse, and (505,725), the G. Value of Rashad Khalifa:
(89692 + 2145 +
11179 + 505725)
19 x 32039
(3 + 2 + 0 + 3 + 9)
digits – the sum of the digits is
[2:145] “Even if you show the followers of the scripture every kind of miracle, they will not follow your Qiblah. Nor shall you follow their Qiblah. They do not even follow each other's Qiblah. If you acquiesce to their wishes, after the knowledge that has come to you, you will belong with the transgressors.”
QIBLAH in The U.S.A.
Deterioration of Religion
[57:16] Is it not time for those who believed to open up their hearts for Gods message, and the truth that is revealed herein? They should not be like the followers of previous scriptures whose hearts became hardened with time and, consequently, many of them turned wicked.
It is God's will that we face the same direction as we perform the Contact Prayers together. It is God's will that we turn our faces during Salat towards the Sacred Masjid, the shrine in Mecca. However, it is very important to understand that the shrine in Mecca is not the object of our worship. We do not worship the station of Abraham. We worship the God of Abraham, the Creator of all things. When the angels fell prostrate before Adam, did they worship Adam or did they worship God, the source of the command? If the shrine in Mecca in one's mind becomes a bigger issue than God, then that is the god of that individual.
There were two very important reasons for the temporary change of Qiblah from Mecca to Jerusalem during the time of Muhammad.
1. To give the believers an opportunity to overcome their prejudices; an opportunity to worship God alone and not to idolize anything beside God - not even the Sacred Masjid.
2. It was a test of submission. The true believers readily obeyed the messenger. It is important to note that in the same section in the Quran, where we are commanded to turn our faces during Salat towards the Sacred Masjid, God tells us that to Him belongs the east and the west (2:142), and that He never puts our worship to waste (2:143).
South East or North East?
The Quran does not show us how to determine the direction of the Qiblah. Therefore, in North America, we are left with two choices:
1. Follow the guidance we received through the Messenger of the Covenant and pray in the direction that is slightly South of East.
2. Turn on our heels and change our Oiblah to North East as suggested by those who follow the "geodesic" calculations. "The shortest distance between two points on a sphere is called a geodesic."
Direction is defined as a straight line which connects one point to another. On a flat surface there is only one straight line that connects two points. On a three dimensional object such as the sphere, however, there are two straight lines between two points. If we were to fly from anywhere in North America to Mecca, we would take the geodesic route. For it is more economical to fly the shorter distance. But in our Contact Prayers the distance is not of any consequence. The Quran tells us to turn our faces towards the Sacred Masjid. It does not tell us to calculate the distance. This could make the religion very difficult and that is not what the Almighty wishes (5:6; 22:78). The advocates of the geodesic direction cannot tell the people living in different locals to take the same general direction (North East) for this would defeat their purpose. If the idea is to be scientific and mathematically accurate, then every individual becomes responsible to go through the calculations and find their geodesic direction for themselves. To summarize, the geodesic direction advocated by the opposition does as follows:
1. It puts too much emphasis on the Sacred Masjid. The true believers wish to CONTACT their Creator and not the shrine in Mecca.
2. It makes the religion difficult when GOD has made it easy.
3. It casts doubt among the believers and divides them over an issue that is not a Quranic issue to begin with. The Quran does not talk about the distance between where we stand to perform our Contact Prayers and the Sacred Masjid.
4. It is not a consistent direction. It is North-East in North America, but due to the specifics of the globe, it changes to South-East as it approaches the Mecca.
5. There is no Quranic proof to support it. This is a clear case of one's personal opinion being placed over that of God and His messenger.
[3:149] O you who believe, if you obey those who disbelieve, they will turn you back on your heels. then you end up losers.
Equator is the imaginary great circle around the earth's surface, equidistant from the poles and perpendicular to the earth's axis of rotation. Latitudes on the globe are regions considered in relation to their distance from the equator. These are circles parallel to the equator. On the basis of the above facts let us make some assumptions. Let us assume that both our location in North America and Mecca are on the equator. Obviously no one would object if we said that we must pray towards East. As we stand on the equator we are perpendicular to the center of the earth and this makes every body happy. Now, let us assume that our location in North America and Mecca are both on the 30-degree latitude. Now, what? Can we still pray towards East? We should say, YES. Nothing has changed. We are on a straight line parallel to the equator. From this understanding and knowing the fact that the most southern tip of Florida is about 25 degrees north of the equator and Mecca is about 21 degrees north, it is easy for us to see why in North America we pray in a direction that is slightly South of East, a direction that is consistently South East all the way to Mecca. THE GEODESIC ADVOCATES WILL SAY, "NO." They will insist that the direction of the Qiblah would be northeast even if both our location in North America and Mecca were on the same latitude. They argue that since our position is always perpendicular to the center of the earth, we cannot stand to pray alongside the latitudes for we would tip over (JOS Volume 2 No.6, Aug. 1994). WOW! What are these people saying? Are they saying that there are places on this earth (with the same altitude) that if we were to walk straight forward, we would end up walking in angles? Are they saying that only along the geodesic lines we can walk straight forward? Are they saying that on the sphere there is only one straight line that connects two points? If this is true, then what is the difference between sphere and a flat surface?
The 100,000 meters of atmosphere around the earth to compare to the size of our planet is like a thin orange peel. If the height of a person is 2 meters, that person is very tall. This still is 50,000 times less than the height of the atmosphere. Can you imagine reducing the thickness of an orange peel 50,000 times and then try to tip over what is left of it?